Skip Navigation
State of Montana Website
Welcome to Gallatin County
Gallatin County Home
Big Sky
Four Corners
Gallatin Gateway
Three Forks
This table is used for column layout.

Job Openings

Family History Records
Public records held at the Clerk of District Court's office located in the Law and Justice Center include marriage licenses, probate, dissolution (divorce), civil, and criminal files.  In requesting information on a person, you may come to the office or write a letter asking for the information and including payment. Searches will not be conducted without receipt of the proper fee amount.

All requests should be sent to:            CLERK OF DISTRICT COURT
                                                        615 S. 16th Ave. - Room 302
                                                        Bozeman, MT  59715

Search Fee:
$2.00 per name per year for the first 7 years, then $1.00 for each additional year.  
Marriage License Fee:
$5.00 for a copy of a marriage license, $7.00 for a certified copy (used for legal purposes)
Dissolution Decree Fee:
$10.00 for copy of divorce decree, $12.00 for a certified copy
Copy Charges:
$1.00 per page for the first 10, then $.50 thereafter

It is best to send two checks when requesting a marriage license or divorce decree.  One check would cover the search costs, the other would cover the cost of the document you requested.  In sending two checks, if a record is not found, the check for the document fee can be returned to you.  

If you know the exact year of the marriage/divorce, the search fee will not be required.  

Information we require to conduct a search:
Full name of person - identify maiden name and/or name used at time as well
Date of the marriage/divorce - month, day, year to the best of your ability. Sometimes, though, only a span of years are known and that will be acceptable.
Type of search to conduct - marriage license, divorce decree, search of court records for a particular case type
Type of document requested - a simple copy or a certified copy
Payment for the search and for the document if one is found

When requesting court documents such as in a probate and the exact number of pages of a document is unkown, you may either request a search and wait for the reply before sending payment for the copy charges, or include a blank check not to exceed an amount you determine to receive the document as soon as the search is conducted.  

      Web Services Provided By:
Gallatin County, Montana
311 West Main Street
Bozeman, MT 59715